Potholes and Pragmatism
You're never too old to learn from your own mistakes.
Far better to learn from the misatkes of others.
Here are my mistakes, and the lessons I learned.
If you want to jump over my potholes ....
...read "Lessons from Deep in the Potholes".

Wednesday 28 September 2011

D+10

It's 7:30pm. Another full day gone, with precious little communication other than ..."we're working on it, please be patient."  I'm trying to be patient. They're trying my patience.

An email has come through saying the upload has succeeded and the site is working. Which means they've taken it public before I've head a chance to fix all the little things. Right now, I'm just pleased to have control over it.

I try to login - but I find my passwords don't give me access to my own site. There's a notepad attachment to the email, giving me new passwords. Don't ask!  I use them, access the website admin area, and proceed to remove the developer's contact information from the admin profile and change the login passwords. Then I go into my webhost's control panel, and remove the FTP account and email address I had set up for the developer. I also reset the main password for the hosting account. I think I'm secure, but who knows.

I've flipped the admin login and password to my trusted local website developer, with a generous helping of humble pie. He'll clean it up for me tomorrow and make the e-commerce piece function properly - thank goodness. I'm not completely out of the woods yet - but I can see the treeline, so I'm feeling a little better, (also a lot wiser, considerably poorer and somewhat ego-bruised).

No comments:

Post a Comment